[Coco] Bad HD cable

Paul Fitch pfitchjr at bellsouth.net
Sat Aug 4 07:25:58 EDT 2007

> Message: 6
> Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2007 17:58:36 +0930
> From: "Briza" <bpa65117 at bigpond.net.au>
> Subject: [Coco]  Drive freezing / data reovery (WAS: Re: Need to know
> To: <coco at maltedmedia.com>
>
> Hi Joel.
>
> The drive still spins and is recognised in the BIOS. The
> problem is the Boot track is gone. I have loaded up Linux and
> had the drive plugged in and I could access the coco archive folders.
>  So in the end it was just a simple faulty cable causing me
> the grief. But still have not attempted to hook up both my
> drives together yet. with my new boot disk as my Master, and
> the crashed drive as a slave unit.
>  The last time I tried them both together. The new drive
> would not load up again. And at the time I used the faulty
> cable. So I'm hoping this time with the new cable that it
> will not corrupt the new boot drive.
>
> laters
>
> Briza

Dude, I gota ask.  That IDE HD cable that you replaced. Was it a DRIVE
SELECT cable?  Maybe both of your drives are set to MASTER or SLAVE?

Newer system like to use drive select cables, and the drives are jumpered to
know this.  Older or generic cables are NOT drive select and require the
user (that's you) to maunally jumper your drives as Master or Slave.

A drive select cable will generally have different colors for each of its
two connectors.