[Coco] Are there any CoCo BBS's out there?

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Fri Aug 3 10:52:10 EDT 2007

Rod Barnhart wrote:
> On 8/3/07, Mike Pepe <lamune at doki-doki.net> wrote:
>
>> George's Coco Address wrote:
>>
>> Hey, that brings back memories. I hacked together an board with 8 2661
>> chips and wrote software to emulate a Ddial system with a CoCo 3. It
>> worked. Yes, the CoCo can handle more than one user. However the TCP to
>> Serial port idea doesn't necessarily mean one can have "infinite" users
>> on the CoCo- it would be one user per physical serial port.
>>
>> But, regardless, it was fun building a multiuser chat system out of a
>> CoCo 3.
>>

> Any chance you still have that software floating around somewhere? ;)
> I realize that the limitation is the number of physical ports, but
> it's very nice to know that yes, the CoCo hardware can handle it. This
> is definitely going on my list of projects for when I have spare time.
> If I can rediscover what spare time is ;)

Of course an FPGA CoCo running at 16MHz could have a very large number
of UARTs or ACIAs implemented in its logic, and could support several
users quite comfortably.  There your limiting factor could be available
physical I/O lines (maybe not, I don't know how many of those are free
for use on the development systems) and phone lines, modems, or RS-232
<-> Ethernet adapters.  But I think one could put together a pretty
spiffy NitrOS-9 BBS with an FPGA CoCo.

JCE