[Coco] Un-upgraded 3124 Multipak/Coco3 Question (fwd)

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Thu Aug 2 05:58:53 EDT 2007

Marty's thoughts on the subject....

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 18:45:45 -0700
From: martygoodman <martygoodman at sbcglobal.net>
To: Arthur Flexser <flexser at fiu.edu>
Subject: Re: [Coco] Un-upgraded 3124 Multipak/Coco3 Question (fwd)

Sheesh!  It's been so long, I forget the details of the addressing conflicts
entailed by use a new version unupgraded Mpak with a CoCo 3!  I'll try to
find... and refresh my memory with... some of my old articles on the
subject.

Basically, what happens with an unupgraded Mpak and a CoCo 3  is that you
may end up putting two sets of data on the data bus at the same time, in
effecting outputting TO another output.  While I suppose in theory it's
possible to cause hardware damage doing this, the more I think about this,
from the perspective of time, this seems to me unlikely. Tho certainly a
transitory "glitch"... including a crash...  is a much more plausible result
of that situation.

As I recall, the upgrade for the new version Mpak has to be done using a
small scale logic chip or two.  This because the custom logic for the
address decoding in the new style Mpak is INSIDE a custom, inacessible, and
no-reprogramable chip.  Unlike the case with the OLD style Mpak, where the
address decoding for its ports was inside a PAL or GAL chip... a very
inexpensive, generic,  and easy to program chip.

I recall working out the logic for the Mpak upgrade, compiling it into a
fuse map for a 16V8 GAL chip, and supplying folks with such GAL chips to
upgrade their old style Mpaks.

---marty

---marty