[Coco] Coco 3 & 3.5" drive data transfer problems

Derek dml_68 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 3 14:56:48 EDT 2007

I need some help. I have searched the mail list archive and google but have had no luck.

I have connected a 1.44 MB 3.5" drive to my CoCo 3 using the controller that came with the FD 500. On the CoCo end I can format the disk, read and write to it. (I am using 720K 3.5" ds dd disks).

It's the PC end that is giving me trouble. I can not get the PC to read or write to the disks after they have been formatted on the coco. Also I can not get the coco to work with the disks after I format them on the PC.

I have tried the VCC emulator with it using the 3.5" as a coco drive ( I have the Windows XP floppy driver it requires loaded).

I also had no luck in booting to DOS (Not DOS mode but true DOS) and using the dskini & port utilities by Jeff V.

I also have a utility on my Atari ST that allows me to manually set sides, sectors, tracks and tracks per sectors using it's 720K 3.5" drive. I tried and doing 1 side 35 tracks (0 to 34) and 18 sectors per track. The coco would not read that disk.

Anyone have a step by step instruction set on how I can get files from the PC to my Coco 3 via 3.5" drive? Do I need to format the disks in OS-9?

My 2nd option is to use the serial port via a null modem cable which I have. The only thing I don't have is a terminal program for the coco.

Thanks for reading

Derek

** Mistrust Authority. Promote Decentralization **