[Coco] Fedora 6 DVD ISO

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Mon Apr 30 17:12:52 EDT 2007

At 12:22 PM 4/30/2007, you wrote:
>John W. Linville wrote:
>
>>And, of course, if you prefer you can download a minimal boot iso
>>image and install all of Fedora (or specifically the bits you want)
>>over the Internet.  It weighs-in at about 8 MB (thats Mega):
>>
>>http://redhat.download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/core/6/i386/os/images/boot.iso
>>I have used this method many times myself, and find it quite
>>satisfactory for installing a usable base system with other software
>>added via yum on an as-needed basis.
>>Once again, the Ubuntoids (and other Deb-heads) seem to think they
>>have a monopoly on all that is cool or useful in the Linux world...
>
>Not quite. You are the only person to have mentioned that there is a
>way to install Fedora without a DVD and / or a whole load of CDs.
>This is all I was asking about because it seems down right
>ridiculous to have to download ~3.3 Gb worth of information just to
>get a Linux install when there are other distros that offer an
>install on just one CD. (I'm not including DSL or Puppy, etc.) For
>those that have a slow internet connection, downloading a DVD to
>install Linux, _then_ having to upgrade _and_ install a load of
>other software (by whatever method) isn't exactly a great option or
>efficient. It's not quite as bad for us with fast connections, but
>there is tons of room for improvement.

If it makes you feel better (or anybody else), I successfully
downloaded the 32mb Debian "businesscard" installer ISO, which did
boot up, repartition my HD, and just installed the base system over
the web, and is now 25% into the "Configuring apt" session.

My plans are to install several different distros like Fedora 6 and
Debian on the same PC on different HD's (have 3 of them connected),
and see if I can multi-boot into them until I find the best one For Me.  :)

Dangit, I just accidentally hit ENTER under the "Choose software to
install" where it listed Web Server, DNS Server, Print Server,
Desktop Environment, etc.  I guess I needed to hit space to toggle
the imitation checkboxes next to those packages before hitting
ENTER.  The Desktop package was checked, though.  Whew.

--
Roger Taylor