[Coco] (very very slightly OT) 6800 emulator

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Apr 30 12:42:40 EDT 2007

Again I reitterate that the emulation board was a functional equivalent of the 6809
that was built around the 6800.  Also to do a beadboard where you implement the
6809 hardware in logic would be emensely complex and time consuming to get
running.

Chances are the instruction set and register movement were not at the full 2 MHz
speed rated for the final silicon. Also when you go from evalu ation/breadboard to
actual silicon timings do change. Back in the 70's it was not uncommon to do
multiple passes on the silicon. In fact if the first silicon worked at any speed
above 10KHz that was a blessing. Usually by the third pass you had pretty much
production ready ICs.  Only a minor tweak in the fourth pass would meet the final
design goals.

Today an IC as complex as the 6809 can be done is one or two passes of silicon.
Six to nine months as compared to two years.

james