[Coco] (very very slightly OT) 6800 emulator

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Apr 30 12:27:38 EDT 2007

On 29 Apr 2007 at 21:40, Manney wrote:

> >> Isn't that a bit backwards? :) But this question is coming from
> >> someone who isn't quite as in depth about 680x processors as he'd
> >> like to be. :)
> >>
> > It isn't backwards so much as forward, or ahead of its time.  :) How
> > better to test a microprocessor that doesn't exist yet but to
> > emulate it on one that does?
>
> Well, I thought that normally the 'host' processor had to be more
> powerful than the emulated processor to handle the emulation?
>
> -M.
****************

Considering back in the mid 70's there were not the programs to simulate an HDL design
like today. There was a board with logic that simulated the internal structure of the 6809
that used a 6800 processor as the core. You also have to remember that the 6809 is built
on the 6800 processor. The actual ASIC is very similar internally than one would tend to
believe. Motorola did not do a complete redesign of the 6800 to achieve the 6809. Instead
it used what was alerady done in the 6800 and altered what was needed to achieve the
end results.

The 6809 is not object code upward compatible but many of the pnuemonics do the same
function with different opcodes. That is why some 6800 code need only be reassembled in
order to work on a 6809.

james