[Coco] Brother Jeremy's OS-9 Level 3 (are you out there, Jeremy?)

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Thu Apr 12 22:02:39 EDT 2007

On 12 Apr 2007 at 13:51, coco at yourdvd.net wrote:

> I vaguely remember mention of OS-9 L3 but had forgotten about it. A
> quick search turned up this: Q. How do I know which version of
> NitrOS-9 is for which Color Computer? A. NitrOS-9 supports three
> "levels" and two processors, yielding six potential distributions:
> NitrOS-9/6809 Level 1 for the Color Computer  NitrOS-9/6309 Level 1
> for the Color Computer with a 6309  NitrOS-9/6809 Level 2 for the
> Color Computer 3  NitrOS-9/6309 Level 2 for the Color Computer 3 with
> a 6309  NitrOS-9/6809 Level 3 for the Color Computer 3
> NitrOS-9/6309 Level 3 for the Color Computer 3 with a 6309 In short,
> Level 2 and Level 3 are exclusively for the Color Computer 3. Level 2
> is compatible with OS-9 Level Two, and Level 3 contains additional
> features to manage system memory more efficiently. Currently,
> NitrOS-9/6809 Level 1, NitrOS-9/6809 Level 2, and NitrOS-9/6309 Level
> 2 are available. The other distributions are still under development

First off the differences between 6309 and 6809 versions are there to take
advantage of the extra instructions and registers the 6309 processor. If code is
written to take advantage of the 6309 features it will not run on a stock 6809.
Conversely any code written for the 6809 or the 6309 will run on a machine that
has a 6309 processor.

Level 1 is for the Coco1 and 2. Level 2 and higher is for the COco 3 only. It takes
advantage of the hardware features of the Coco3 that are not common with the
Coco1 and 2.

james