[Coco] CoCo Game "Construction Sets"

Dezorian dezorian at shaw.ca
Mon Apr 9 19:53:08 EDT 2007

On April 8, 2007 11:14 pm, Allen Huffman wrote:
> Okay, folks. Since there aren't alot of us capable of writing a new
> game or whatever from the ground up, how about we work on a
> construction set.  For example, a Maze Game Construction Set would have:
>
> Sprite Editor - Create your own game characters with 1 to X frames of
> animation.
>
> Level Editor - Create the maze for your characters to roam in.
> Includes teleport locations, etc.
>
> Object Logic Editor - Give nonplayer characters (like Ghosts in Pac-
> Mac) some basic logic, whether that be seeking another object,
> running away from it, or patterns (like a robot on patrol).

I remember buying a program called "Arcade Factory" from a company (or
individual) who had a tiny little ad in the Rainbow circa 1990.  It was
rather limited but I still managed to create a few good little games that
made it onto local Winnipeg BBSes.

Another package I remember buying was called "Sprite Basic", which added a
bunch of commands (like "collide" for collision detect, et cetera) to basic
for creating and manipulating sprites.  If I remember correctly (and I
probably don't), it had a sprite design program on the disk.  I wrote a
horrible little Pac-man clone that used samples created with Gimmesoft's
Max-Sound on my Coco 3.

Wishing I still had all my old disks.... *sigh*

Shaun