[Coco] Fest Weekend

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Apr 5 16:48:37 EDT 2007

On Thursday 05 April 2007, RJRTTY at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 4/5/07 12:26:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
>
>gene.heskett at verizon.net writes:
>>That depends on which side of zero the 30F is.  I got up one  February
>>morning in Rapid City SD back in the mid-60's and wound up  taking my
>>hunting truck to work, nothing else would even think of  starting.  A
>>thermometer nailed to a tree about 10 feet from where  the pickup
>> normally sat said -39F.  Dressed for it at 5AM, it  didn't feel that
>> cold, till I tried to stir that stick shift into the  next gear.  It
>> had 50W CMO oil in it, which just wiped itself out  of the way like so
>> much clay, no oil pressure and a slight rod knock for  the first mile,
>> so it didn't get pushed for rpms, just enough to get it  to move.  But
>> I got to Skyline Drive and put KOTA on the air on  time that
>> morning...
>
>Back in 86 when I was going to school and living off my motorcycle
>I had to  ride back from work at about 12 midnight and the  thermometer
>read -20 F.   I put several layers of newspaper under my coat on  my
>chest for a poor man's "body armour" and taped some straws together
>so I could breath the warmer air under my coat and not fog up my
>full face helmet.   As I was about halfway home I heard a  loud
>"whinning" noise.   Just as I thought the engine was going to  sieze
>I noticed my speedometer needle was wildly going back and forth from
> zero to full scale.   The silicone grease in it was begining to
> thicken up fouling the mechanism and causing it to "howl" in protest.
> :)
>
>Anywho I made it home and promptly took the battery out of the
>bike and took it into the apartment with me.   The only vehicles  on
>the road were either air cooled (bikes and VW beatles) and those
>which were stored in a garage.
>
>hardcore biker and coconut,
>Roy

I _knew_ we had something in common.  I've never been out at that temp on
a bike, 5 below maybe a couple of times, and a few times in fresh powder
snow up to 15" deep (No CA).  Glare ice is fun too.  Somewhere around 400
to 500k miles on 2 wheels, but saw my reflexes slowing about 5 years ago
and sold my last bike before I killed myself trying to act 50 years
younger.  I rode it from Rochester MN to Ashland KY to get a job in
February of '82, that was a fairly cold ride, 2 stops.  Turned around and
rode it from there to Clarksburg to get the CE's job in '84 too.
Crossing the toll bridge at Dubuque IA in '82, the toll booth operator
had to tell me I wasn't the first for the year, somebody had come through
on a bike about a week ahead of me.  Plumb spoiled my day.