[Coco] nitros 3.2.6 windint+vdg problem?

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Sat Sep 30 03:53:58 EDT 2006

>Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 08:15:43 -0400
>From: Robert Gault <robert.gault at worldnet.att.net>

>You haven't said what you are attempting. Do you want to boot with both cowin
>and covdg into a vdg /term?

That's the idea, but when it didn't work I tried other things.

>Do you want to boot into an 80 column /term but have access to vdg
>screens?

I can't get that to work at all...

I spent about three hours last night fighting this.  Either my GIME's
failing or there's a bug in NitrOS.

First, I always built boot disks from scratch, by editing standard.bl
and running the mb script.

So, I started with the bootlist of my regular windint boot, which
still has about 20K free in the system map.  vtio, cowin, w-w15, etc.
I edit the bootlist, add covdg.  The resulting bootdisk says
"Kern...[...] i2xo"  Then it crashes.  Sometimes it simply hangs,
sometimes I get sparklies, and once in while even a "boot failed"
message.

The lack of "i2xoC" means that Sysgo isn't running.  OK, sometimes
NitrOS is touchy about the Glenside IDE drivers.  So I built a new
boot disk, identical except that sysgo was added to the OS9Boot file.
Same responce: "i2xo" <crash!!!!>

Starting from the other direction, I can take the bootlist of my pure
vdg boot (vtio, covdg, term_vdg, v1-v7...) and add cowin and w-w7, and
it boots fine.

Using this, I was able to check out your xmode thing
and yes, that does work.  Cool.

But, if I try to use one of the /wX windows as a windint window in any
way, by iniz-ing it or writing to it or running a shell on it, NitrOS
crashes.  It either hangs or clicks the cassette relay and goes to
sparklies.

As far as I can tell, covdg will not tolerate the use of cowin windows
in any way.

Does this work for anybody else?  Is my hardware flaking out?

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA
   --- Yacko