[Coco] Cave Walker on OS9 Level 2

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Tue Sep 19 08:06:51 EDT 2006

David Roper wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've managed to pick myself up the disks for Cave Walker off Ebay
>
> It comes with OS9 level 1 on the disk, and it's started by the usual
> "DOS" command
>
> However, the manual says if it's run under OS9 Level 2, it has expanded
> colours, save feature etc
>
> I've got myself an older version of NitrOS9 Level 2 on disk, and have
> attempted to run it under that, but there's a few problems
>
> a) The manual doesn't state how to execute it under Level 2, and
>
> b) I'm extremely new to OS9 as a whole
>
> I've got a double-drive set up, with /d0 and /d1
>
> /d0 is the NitrOS9 boot disk, and /d1 is Cave Walker
>
> I did a "list /d1/startup" and saw that it executes "CAVE" to start the
> game, and I found CAVE is in the /d1/CMDS directory
>
> When I tried "/d1/CMDS/CAVE" the disk spins for a while, but nothing
> happens
>
> Anyone have experience with getting Cave Walker working under Level 2?
> Am I missing something?
>
> I feel like I'm pretty dumb at this, so don't assume I know anything
> about what I'm doing :)
>
> Kind regards,
> David

I don't have the game so can't test any suggestions. What follows is
based on experience with other programs.

Check the startup file for any chd or chx instructions. If they are
present, you will need to enter them before starting the game. If they
are not present, you have two choices based on guessing whether Cave is
hard coded for /d0 or not.

1) Boot as you describe above and enter:
chd /d1; chx /d1/cmds; cave

2) Boot as above, remove the boot disk, and insert the Cave disk in
drive 0. Enter    cave

It is possible that there are instructions or hints based on the files
found on Cave disks 2-?; however many disks there are. Some OS-9 games
have the equivalent of ini files which permit configuration for hard
disks and other changes in system parameters.