[Coco] 63C09EP limited source

Roger Taylor webmaster at coco3.com
Tue Sep 19 01:22:24 EDT 2006

At 08:53 PM 9/18/2006, you wrote:
>Roger,
>Not sure how you derive little or no demand?
>
>This is their business, believe me they know what the pulse of the
>market is. They are chip brokers, they really don't have them. A
>common stock, a bigger fish actually does.
>
>I have sold hundreds of these processors and yes I buy ~$2k worth at
>a time. I once sent out four RFQs at one time and one of the dealers
>ask me if I had done so. I told him I did. He told me that what I
>did was actually working againest me because they see a peak of
>interest(demand) and the price goes up. Could be bad timing, others
>inquiring about HD63x09EPs or someone just did a big buy. It has
>been awhile since I have purchased any. After last years taxes..I
>was carrying over $15k in raw inventory at Cloud-9. A hobby growing
>out of control.
>
>The market is there.
>Mark

For the CoCo community, which I am referring to, there's just enough
interest in the 6309 that several authorities on the web can push
them at a reasonable cost and maybe offer installations (as I did
once).  There really is no "demand", because there is no
"need".  True, it's very nice to have one of these chips to run
NitrOS-9 and see the MAJOR speed increase (plug) but if people can't
just pop them into their CoCo without attempting to desolder the
6809, it's harder to push them.

Now, my own bragging rights allows me to mention that thanks to my
former astronomically-popular Projector-3 system :) , there was a
HUGE surge in 6309 interest for the CoCo around 1991-1992, and I
ended up having to install the chips to help sell the
software.  Luckily, many CoCo users did piggyback installations.

--
Roger Taylor