[Coco] Weird errors(DSK images.. NOT!!)

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Sat Sep 16 22:47:23 EDT 2006

Christopher Hawks wrote:

> $: dd if=nos96809l2v030207coco3_40d_1.dsk of=/dev/fd0

yeah, well, don't get me started on the above...

I've tried 4 times over about as many years to get linux to format and
write a CoCo disk, and it never works. fdutils sucks. the "support"
sucks harder.

omniflop on an xp box, works out of the box, and it's free.

your mileage may vary.

now that the rant is over, of course I'm talking about 3.5 inch low
density disks. using a real 320k drive on xp probably won't work. (not
that I was ever able to get it to work on linux either, grumble mutter spit)

Actually the original suggestion of dumping a dsk image over the serial
port to a CoCo and then writing it out on the actual hardware is
actually a good one.

there was (is?) a utility that we used to use to transfer whole disks
over the modem. so, it's entirely possible.

-Mike