[Coco] Re: Coco Digest, Vol 37, Issue 23

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sat Sep 16 16:03:46 EDT 2006

On 16 Sep 2006 at 4:15, Basil Fitze wrote:

> Can someone recommend a good C/C++ for the Coco I can't remember whether
> it came with OS-9 or not but I prefer programming in C its easier for me
> to learn than try to deal with basic-09 a language I hated when it was
> kinda popular back then.

*************

There is Microware C for OS9 that is a K&R derivative. Also GCC for the 6809
seems to be functional now. Not sure it handle C++. GCC for the 6809 needs
GCC 3.4.6 and can be built in Linux or Windoze with CYGWIN. The libraries are
limited and need to be developed for the COCO1/2/3. The only assembler
supported in Alan Baldwin's assembler and linker. There would still need work to
be able to use any of the assemlers and linkers for the COCO3 like RMA or
RLINK. Also support for the 6309 would be needed if not already done.

I personally like Basic09. From it Fortran77 was a beeze to learn. I like Fortran
more than C. Especially when it comes to doing mathematical computations.

> I used my Coco 3 to do programming in C and it was easy to do my College
> assignments then later recompile in class. I use cc mostly and wonder if
> there is a similar C for the Coco please ignore my ignorance.
>
> Just wondering if there was a project to add say a laptop hard drive
> into a Coco 3 I have a 1.5 GB that I would love to use inside my Coco 3.
>
> Please contact me if there is a project for such a thing and if someone
> has a source for the Coco C software.

Here is a link to GCC6809

http://www.oddchange.com/gcc6809/

james