[Coco] Weird errors

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Sep 16 10:55:06 EDT 2006

On Saturday 16 September 2006 09:29, Boisy Pitre wrote:
>After looking at the xmode.asm source and examining the compatibility
>issue that has plagued users of tmode, I am considering a different
>approach than the one I expressed in the email below.  Specifically,
>I am considering resurrecting the old tmode/xmode utilities and
>renaming the current "new syntax" tmode/xmode to some variant, such
>as tmode2/xmode2 and including those as part of an enhanced utilities
>package that would also include things like bawk and other commands.
>This utility package would be downloadable as a separate disk image
>alongside NitrOS-9.

Given the trouble this has caused, including for me, I vote for the above
scenario. Those that need it can still get it, but via this method, all
the legacy stuff runs again by default.  In re xmode, iirc there is an
original, and a more all-encompassing version that covered the windows
related stuff and expanded on the rs-232 controls.  Syntacticly compatible
with the original for those options the original covered, I'd vote for the
second edition of xmode to be the one restored.  I don't know if there was
an expanded tmode or not, never having encounterd it or a need for it that
I know about now.

>Another option is to just include those new
>utilities on the standard NitrOS-9 System disk (though I admit, space
>is getting a bit tight).

I'd save that space for krn3/krn4 os-extension stuff.  Used to be os9p3 and
os9p4.

>As far as I know, no new programs have been written to take advantage
>of the new syntax, so such a an impact would be minimal.  Thoughts or
>comments on this approach?
>--
>Boisy G. Pitre
>337.781.3570 mobile