[Coco] CoCo 3 display offset question.

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Thu Sep 14 16:06:24 EDT 2006

On 14 Sep 2006 at 18:38, Phill Harvey-Smith wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone tell me if on the CoCo 3 the display generation in the GIME
> goes through the mapped memory or if it is limited to a particular block
> (or blocks). A quick check using mess seems to suggest that it honours
> the tradition display offset regs at $FFC6-$FFD3, but I just verified
> this with a quick 4 line basic program, which will have had the mapping
> regs turned off (well CoCo 1/2 compatible mode anyway).

*****************

Phil the GIME chip sees the complete 512K memory map. In the Coco compatible mode,
bit#7 of the INIT0 register($FF90) is set then the GIME chip will respond to data plugged
into the registers at $FFC6 to $FFD3. Then the GIME chip will only see the upper 64K of the
512K memory map from what I understand.

Clearing bit#7 allows the user to program the starting address of the video page in 8 bit
boundaries by programming the upper 16 bits of the address in memory at $FF9D and
$FF9E. Another way is to take the 19 bit address and shift right three times(divide by 8).
Also remember that the GIME chip sees the memory as 256Kx16 and not 512Kx8. Thus
A19 down to A4 is programmed into the Also the refresh counter in the GIME is only an 8 bit
counter. Therefore the refresh is 256 cycles in 4 mS. the greates density is 256Kx1 drams
unless you add an external refresh counter  or other means of refresh.

james