[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] setting up Nitros9 device descriptor for SCSI drive

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Sep 14 12:21:01 EDT 2006

On Thursday 14 September 2006 09:51, Mark Marlette wrote:
>Jim,
>
>I let Boisy reply to this since it is a software configuration issue.
>
>Error 246 to me jumps out at me as you don't have the drive id to the
>desired descriptor setup properly.
>
>Has nothing to do with HDB-DOS, that is later after you have the proper
>drive selected. DNS field IIRC...
>
>In general, NitrOS-9 works from the bottom of the drive and HDB-DOS
>works from the top of the drive down. So in HDB-DOS you place an LSN
>sector offset to the first drive, ie drive 0. NitrOS-9 only has to have
>an entry only if you are using multiple NitrOS-9 partitions. The
>Wizard.bas program will do this configuration for you **if** you enter
>the correct data. Also you MUST, in the descriptor tell SuperDriver not
>to autosense the drive size, this will step on your HDB-DOS partition.
>
>SuperDriver is very neat. If you didn't have a HDB-DOS partition you
>wouldn't even have to tell it the cyls, sid, sec, etc...it is all done
>for you.
>
>Some utilities did not take into account the cluster size and assumed a
>size of 1. Run that utilitity that writes to the drive without a
>cluster size of 1 and BOOM, corrupt drive......... :(
>
>The B&B utilites are REALLY bad about this. Ezgen, etc....
>
>I don't recommend a NitrOS-9 partition >127MB because of this. 127MB is
>HUGE!!!!!
>
>Boisy......

Humm, but would it be ok to setup an /s1 descriptor for another 127 megs
that started with the next sector above the end of the first, repeat
with /s2 etc till out of drive?

Granted, that would be considered major overkill in some circles...

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Yahoo! Groups Links