[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] setting up Nitros9 device descriptor for SCSI drive

Mark Marlette mark at cloud9tech.com
Thu Sep 14 09:51:52 EDT 2006

Jim,

I let Boisy reply to this since it is a software configuration issue.

Error 246 to me jumps out at me as you don't have the drive id to the
desired descriptor setup properly.

Has nothing to do with HDB-DOS, that is later after you have the proper
drive selected. DNS field IIRC...

In general, NitrOS-9 works from the bottom of the drive and HDB-DOS
works from the top of the drive down. So in HDB-DOS you place an LSN
sector offset to the first drive, ie drive 0. NitrOS-9 only has to have
an entry only if you are using multiple NitrOS-9 partitions. The
Wizard.bas program will do this configuration for you **if** you enter
the correct data. Also you MUST, in the descriptor tell SuperDriver not
to autosense the drive size, this will step on your HDB-DOS partition.

SuperDriver is very neat. If you didn't have a HDB-DOS partition you
wouldn't even have to tell it the cyls, sid, sec, etc...it is all done
for you.

Some utilities did not take into account the cluster size and assumed a
size of 1. Run that utilitity that writes to the drive without a
cluster size of 1 and BOOM, corrupt drive......... :(

The B&B utilites are REALLY bad about this. Ezgen, etc....

I don't recommend a NitrOS-9 partition >127MB because of this. 127MB is
HUGE!!!!!

Boisy......

Mark
Cloud-9

Quoting jlhickle <jlhickle at yahoo.com>:

> Can anyone point me to some instructions for setting up a device
> descriptor for a SCSI hard drive under nitros9?  I'm using cloud-9's
> super driver. Hard drive has HDB-DOS virtual drives 0 thru 250 and I
> want nitros9 to use the rest of the drive. Attempts to use device /s0
> gives error 246 (device not ready).
>
> I'm thinking the problem may be in how to tell nitros9 about
> partitioning the drive.  I also have a Jaz drive (SCSI ID 4) which
> works  with device /s4; didn't have to dmode any changes to that one.
>
> -jim

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional