[Coco] BASH was Broken Syntax (Was: Weird errors)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Sep 14 06:52:11 EDT 2006

On Thursday 14 September 2006 05:25, Willard Goosey wrote:
>>Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 05:56:48 -0400
>>From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net>
>>
>>[root at coyote src]# uname -a
>>Linux coyote.coyote.den 2.6.18-rc7 #1 PREEMPT Tue Sep 12 23:39:13 EDT
>> 2006 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
>
>Ahh, just a slightly newer version, then.
>
>>Yeah, I have some bash wrapped around amanda, in several pieces,
>> probably near 20k all told, but when that (v)tape is finished, it is a
>> bare metal recovery capable backup.  Indices & such that aren't
>> complete when amanda is running are appended to the tape after amanda
>> is all done, so everything is uptodate.
>
>Sounds pretty sweet.  Automatic backups is something my net doesn't
>have yet.

I highly recommend amanda, built from the tarball ONLY.  rpms have
packaging limitations that require serious security compromises to work
around.  I use it with most of a 200GB drive setup as 21 virtual tapes,
many times more dependable than cheap tape drives ever were here, and I
went through 5 of the seagate changers before I gave up on tapes.  Slow
learner I guess.

Go see <http://www.amanda.org> for more details.  Also zmanda.org.

And I have a pair of scripts I use to configure each new release so the
options don't get fubared by my aging memory.  I can share those too.

>20K is a lot of BASH code.  Wow.
Well, its a bit smaller gzipped:
[root at coyote src]# ls -l /GenesAmandaHelper-0.5.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 amanda disk 10240 Aug 22 05:59 /GenesAmandaHelper-0.5.tar.gz
:)

My network here is a bit more complex than would seem to be required for a
4 machine system, but the 4 machines are all protected by the firewall,
but not from each other, thats totally transparent.  I've had 3 attacks
actually make it to the logs, and thats as far as they got before my
machines disappeared from the net when accessed by a packet from the
offending address, in 3.5 years of 24/7 dsl hookup, the router stops
99.99% of them before a byte ever gets sent to the firewall for further
checking.  Thats an amazing record.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)