[Coco] Re: Hard drive success! Now what about CD's...?

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Tue Sep 12 03:57:09 EDT 2006

>From: Leon Howell <puritan_2076 at yahoo.com>
>Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 18:20:54 +0000 (UTC)

>That didn't take too long. Just a couple of days.

You've had an easier time of it than me, then. :-&

>Already have most of it. :/

Me too, actually.  It's worth having a single piece of media with
everything, though.

These big archives of old software have a habit of suddenly going
away.

>I thought I could do that with the Superdrivers. What more do CD's need?

Well... You can.  The CD Cloud-9 sells uses the regular OS-9 file
system, So the Superdrivers should be all you'd need.  The CD would
look like a regular hard drive.

But just like OS-9 needs outside programs to read/write PC format
floppies, it doesn't automatically know about the regular file system
on CD-ROMs.  That's what Hawks' CDman does.  And, since CDMan is a
kernel-level file-system driver, suddenly all the regular OS9 tools
will work on CD-ROMs.  (That's the theory anyway.)

>Where can I get those?

On RTSI, in OS9_6x09/utilities.  os9dsk and rsdsk.  There's a dumb
little BASIC09 subroutine to write dsk images to real disks somewhere
in the maltedmedia message archive -- I can send it to you if you need
it.  there are also several BASIC09 "rippers" but I haven't played
with those.

>The label says it's in a "searchable format" so I'd assume ASCII or HTML.

<Shrug> poke at it from a DOS box to see what the files actually are.

>I'll try it and see what happens.

Have fun.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org