[Coco] Re: Hard drive success! Now what about CD's...?

Leon Howell puritan_2076 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 11 14:20:54 EDT 2006

> >IT WORKS!!! IT WORKS!!! IT WORKS!!!
>
> Congratulations!  I finally got a hard drive running on my CoCo again
> as well.
>
> Sure is sweet, isn't it?

Yes, it is!

> And no swapping disks every two minutes! (except when you're copying
> everything onto the HD :)

That didn't take too long. Just a couple of days.

> Cloud-9 sells copies of the RTSI archive on CD for $cheap.

Already have most of it. :/

>  They may also have CDs of the maltedmedia archives by now.

Allready have it.

> And Chris Hawks now sells CDman, an ISO-9660 file manager.  In other
> words, with this manager, which requires Superdrivers, you can read
> normal CD-ROMS directly with the CoCo.

I thought I could do that with the Superdrivers. What more do CD's need?

> Don't forget, we have perfectly functional tools under OS-9 to deal
> with virtual disk images, as well.

Where can I get those?

> I'm not sure what formats the book collections are in.  Probably
> depends on the dealer.  A coco can do something with a CD full of
> gifs, but not a CD full of jpegs.

The label says it's in a "searchable format" so I'd assume ASCII or HTML.

> >What about recordable rewritable CD drives?
>
> My first impluse is to say that a CoCo would be hard-pressed to keep
> up with the data speed demands of a CD burner.  OTOH burners have such
> huge buffers built-in these days...
>
> Willard

I'll try it and see what happens.