[Coco] 5 1/4 Floppy on PC for image conversion

Brian Blake random_rodder at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 29 20:20:52 EDT 2006

Good evening everybody. Just gonna post a quick question to make sure I didn't over look anything...

Since last night, I have been trying to get one of my older PC's to use a 5 1/4 floppy. I am running two emulators and would like to make real disks for my real computers. MESS for the CoCo's, obviously, but, also a Model IV (Dave Keil's). But, it doesn't matter since I never even get to the point where I can try to use the fdd with the emulators.

The PC in question is an HP Vectra Vi8, 750mhz P3. I can set the BIOS properly for A being a 360k or 1.2MB depending on which drive I am attempting to use, and B being a 3.5 1.44MB.

When the 360k drives are installed, I get a message saying the floppy is not responding, yet it works fine in the CoCo. I have two 360k's, a Chinon with only DSx and TERM, and a TEAC FD-55B that has jumpers out the wazoo, but, the only ones I know what they are is the DSx. I can't find anything obvious on it that tells me it's a terminating resistor either. Also, I have tried the 360k and 720k BIOS settings for the 360k drives as well.

With the 1.2mb (TEAC FD-55 GFR) installed, the BIOS always resets to a 1.44mb 3.5" floppy and the drive never responds. The jumpers are set correctly to DC and DS1, and the jumpers for slowing down the rpm's are removed. This drive also works fine in the CoCo's when the jumpers are set properly.

I have also used a straight, non-twisted cable with the DS0 set and have achieved exactly the same results.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Brian