[Coco] Keyboard Q.....

Boisy Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Fri Oct 20 20:36:02 EDT 2006

On Oct 20, 2006, at 7:19 PM, Phill Harvey-Smith wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have finally managed to source myself a CoCo3, and have a couple
> of questions.... Actually to be fair it's just the mainboard, but
> following the instructions found on the web, I have adapted it to
> run of a 12V supply, and it powers up to the basic
> screen...however, I don't have a case or working keyboard for it.
>
> 1) Should a CoCo 2 keyboard work in this machine (except of course
> for the extra keys the 3 has). As I have tried a CoCo 2 keyboard in
> the 3 and also got some dead keys, this keyboard works fine in the
> 2, this of course could indicate that my 3 has a dodgy keyboard
> connector.

Yes, Phill, a  CoCo 2 keyboard will work, albeit without the CTRL/ALT/
F1/F2.

> 2) I have a proper CoCo3 keyboard, however it seems to have some
> rows not working, I have disassembled it and given it a clean, but
> internally it's a plastic sheet with metal traces on, these seem to
> be broken in places, would a conductive pen be likley to be able to
> fix these ?
>
> I have tried this keyboard in a CoCo2, and it exhibits the same
> dead keys.
>
> If I can't get the keyboard working I have a partially developed PC
> to Dragon/CoCo keyboard adapter that I could modify for the 3 with
> little trouble, Alternatly I have a couple of spare Dragon
> keyboards that I could make an adapter lead for.

A conductive pen carefully applied to the traces on the mylar should
fix them up.  I've done this to several of my keyboards and it works
fine.

> 3) Does anyone have the Schematic for a PAL CoCo3, as this is an
> NTSC board, I am lead to believe that the Gime is the same for both
> boards so it should be possible to convert this for PAL (as I am
> using composite video out, this should work ok).

The CoCo 3 service manual has both PAL and NTSC versions.  I believe
the service manual is available on the file server for this list??

> 4) Is there anyone out there with a spare CoCo3 case they'd be
> willing to part with, or should I just re-pack it in something else ?

Can't help here.