[Coco] Re: Re: Tandy Printers to give away

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Tue Oct 17 22:39:08 EDT 2006

In a message dated 10/17/06 7:57:47 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
os9dude at gmail.com writes:

>One  thing I always thought would have been neat was if the CGDP+ could
>take  advantage of the CoCo 3 extra RAM & speed, and load some or most
>of  its components into memory instead of loading and swapping to  the
>floppies

This was a major complaint with many of Tandy's OS9-L2 games for the Coco  3.
"Sub Battle Simulator" and some others rolled in overlays from disk, but
lost them as soon as another overlay was brought in, so had to reload the first
one next time, etc. etc.

Even from a HD it was annoying.  I understand that Tandy had to assume  a
base 128K RAM Coco 3, but the games *could* have checked for 512K and if so,
leave each overlay in RAM.

The UltiMusE composing program had 9 overlays, but each one got loaded only
once as needed, then stayed RAM resident.  OS-9 L2 provided support for  such
for an RSDOS app.
--Mike K.