[Coco] Running 5.25" drives with Win 2000

Jim Cox jimcox at miba51.com
Mon Nov 20 10:54:52 EST 2006

Hi Bruce:

I don't believe this spceific problem has anything to do
with NTFS.  I tried several differnt 5 connector cables to
connect the drives without success.  I then used the
original cable that came with the computer that had only
three connectors (MB, and 2 3.5" drives) and configured
the BIOS for two 3.5" drives.  While Windows would show
the ICON for the drive, every time I accessed it, I would
get the "Insert Disk" message.

It may have something to do with the fact that Windows
isn't completely updated, but I doubt it.  I also doubt it
has anything to do with the fact that the 5.25" drive
wasn't present during the install of Windows 2000.

I found the manual online and there is nothing in it about
setting any sort of jimper to enable the second (B) drive.
 I may try and use the CatWeasel on this system to see if
it works, but that's only after I get the CatWeasel
working on a Win 98 box.

I have several other systems I can try, so all is not
lost. Any ways, my plans for this one computer is for it
to be used as my NAS (see feenas.org)  It still bugs me
though that I had the right settings and everything, but
the 5.25" drive wouldn't work.

-Jim