[Coco] RS-232 Cable

Bob Devries devries.bob at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 08:58:24 EST 2006

Mark,
You will find that the coco's pin 1 is in fact not used, but is connected to
either logic 1 or 0 (not sure which, I don't have the schematic handy),
which may have interfered with the PC end.

A null-modem cable is indeed what is required, and you will find that all
the connections I suggested will be made by that cable.

25 feet is not usually too long, but it really depends on both the Colour
computer, and the PC. Some are more sensitive than others to that distance.
The longer the cable, the higher the voltages that are used *should* be, but
the Coco end is limited to 5 volts, and some PC serial ports are the same.
This limits the distance it is capable of transmitting over.

Autoterm is a good choice for terminal programme. I have used it
successfully. GETerm is also great. For preference, I would use an RS232 pak
on the Coco, but of course, that's dependant on whether you own one.

BASIC can only send characters to the 4-pin serial port, since it was
designed primarily for a printer connection. So if you set the baud rate
correctly in BASIC (POKE 150,XX), and use PRINT #-2,"blah, blah", you should
see that on the receiving screen. That is however the limit to BASIC's
capabilities in this area.

Hope it helps,

the capacity to be his spokesman,
so that I know how to help the weary.