[Coco] Trouble with OmniFlop

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Fri May 26 23:04:34 EDT 2006

Roger Taylor wrote:
><snip>
>

> What kind of problems are you guys having?  The docs say that OmniFlop
> doesn't work with laptops not having internal floppy controllers.  So
> USB floppy drives are not supported right now.  I haven't had any
> problems at all on my desktop PC.  I use Windows XP and OmniFlop can
> read/write/format CoCo floppy disks of all sorts, single- and double-sided.
>
> Please go through the listbox and notice how many CoCo formats there
> are.  I don't know why the author lists these formats under so many name
> variations, but keep trying all of them until one works.

Roger,

Which version of OmniFlop are you using? I'm trying the 2.01h version
and none of the Coco formats work for me.

A MF2DD 3.5" disk formatted either with 35 or 40 tracks on a Coco under
disk Basic can't be read by OmniFlop. The same disk formatted by
OmniFlop can't be read on the Coco as several tracks are mis ID'd as
track 18 even though they aren't that track.

Further, a disk formatted on the Coco with a file copied to it and then
formatted by OmniFlop, will still show the original file on a Coco from
the DIR command. However, gran 20 (where the file was) is trashed as
track 16 was ID'd by OmniFlop as track 18.

I can eliminate the PC and Coco systems from this problem as the same
hardware worked with DSKINI.EXE and RETRIEVE.EXE before I migrated from
Win98SE to WinXP Home SP2. The PC software still works if I boot into
DOS from a floppy, so again there is no hardware problem.