[Coco] Kerry Leichtman editor-in-chief of The Color Computer Magazine

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Sat May 27 02:14:41 EDT 2006

Kerry Leichtman recently contacted me about a request I made on the list
for a copy of the Star Trek game from TCCM. Someone actually scanned it
for me some time back, but I thought the list might be interested in the
exchange

---------------

 Kerry Leichtman
to jhoger
    May 24 (2 days
              ago)
Hello John,
    A friend sent me a link to your post. It sent me way, way back. I
was the editor of The Color Computer Magazine and Jake was a good friend
of mine. He'd be as flattered as I am amazed at your memory. It was a
good game. I spent way too many hours playing it. If no one has
responded and sent you the article copy, send me your snail mail address
and I'll send you the issue if I have a spare copy, or a copy of the
article itself. Do you have a working color computer?
Kerry Leichtman

-----------------

 John R.
to Kerry
    May 24 (2 days
              ago)
Hi Kerry!

Wow great to hear from you. Someone on the mailing list  (maltedmedia,
run by Dennis Kitsz) did send me a scan of the article, but thank you
for the offer. I remember your name, and your end-of-file column. I
devoured every issue I got of TCCM. I don't have all issues but what I
did get I still have. That Star Trek program was in an issue I
borrowed from my neighbor before I got my subscription. still have my
copies from the year my parents could afford to subscribe. You talk
about Jake Commander in the past tense. Does that mean he passed away?

I do have a working Coco 3 in my "rack" of computer hardware. It's the
only vintage micro that's out most of the time, other than my Model
100, T102 and T200 laptops. My coco 1's probably work too but they
aren't out. On the coco mailing list we did a sample of coco users,
and we basically break into two groups... the (now adult) coco kids
and their dads. I was in the former group. 33 now, and a programmer
myself. I owe my career in no small part to the coco and the coco
community. I also play with Model 100/102/200 laptops these days.

Do you still have any working coco stuff?

There's a fairly active community of users on the maltedmedia list.
The folks there would be absolutely delighted if you would make a post
to the list. They enjoy hearing from the coco movers and shakers like
yourself :-) Old war stories, what you're doing now, etc.

Actually there was just a Cocofest recently in Chicago, believe it or
not.

If you decide you want to post but would rather not join the list just
send an email to me and I will forward it on.

Thanks,

-- John.

-----------

 Kerry Leichtman
to jhoger
     May 25 (1 day
              ago)
Hello John,
   Wow yourself. One of the most flattering thing a person can be told
is that their work contributed positively to others. Thanks for kind
words. We tried to launch a software company using Jake's Star Trek game
as our initial game, I think we named the company Commander Software. No
sooner had we manufactured the cassettes and labels than we heard from a
lawyer from Paramont Pictures demanding that we cease and desist, or
some such nonsense,citing copyright infringement on everything from the
font we used in the magazine article's graphics to terms such as
Klingons and phasers. It was pretty funny to see words like that in an
inch-thick legal brief. The rumor was that a competitor sicced them on
us.

   Needless to say it put the skids on our foray into software. We did
manage to turn the problem into an opportunity by offering to cut them
in and make our game the official Star Trek Game for the Color Computer.
They were interested, but then Ziff-Davis bought us and Paramont
suddenly let us alone, didn't want the deal or my first born anymore. I
think I may still have some of those tapes in my attic. I'll climb up
there and check. If you're interested you're welcome to it. It might
take me a little while to get up there though. I'm not sure what else I
have, I wouldn't be surprised to find a color computer and P100 up
there. You've made me curious.

   The last I knew, Jake was fine. We lost contact just a few years ago,
though I think our wives still exchange Christmas cards.

   Receiving a forward of your original post and then hearing from you
about the after-life of The Color Computer Magazine (it's a thrill just
to type that title again) was a jolt back in time -- a good kind of
jolt. They were great times. Working with people like Jake and Dennis
was like not working at all.

We had a lot of fun.

   I'm writing screenplays now, two finished and unproduced, with number
three nearing completion. I've a small book publishing company that has
published three cookbooks:  "What's Cooking at Moody's Diner" "Uncle
Billy's Downeast Barbeque" and "What's Cooking at Moody's Diner (totally
revised)" of which the latter is the only one still in print. You're
welcome to post any of this that you like, John. But if you include an
email address, please use my business address of
dancingbearbooks at yahoo.com, though you're welcome
to use my personal address.

   Thanks for stirring a pot full of pleasant memories for me.
Best,

Kerry

-------

Anyway, there you have it folks. If you have more questions about TCCM
there's an address there or I can gather up questions and forward them
on.

-- John.