[Coco] OT-Linux<->Windows Ethernet connection

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Mar 28 13:53:01 EST 2006

On Tuesday 28 March 2006 02:11, Richard E. Crislip wrote:
>Hello John
>
>> A lot of people don't realize this, so I'll clue you in. The best
>> place to get free Linux support is via IRC (Internet Relay Chat).
>> You just need to find a channel dedicated to your OS of choice,
>> ideally targeted at newbies.
>>
>> My search order is Google, real life co-workers that user Linux,
>> then IRC. In general the configuration stuff is all in /etc on a
>> Linux box. Sometimes you can guess what is what. Your documentation
>> is all in man pages, but it's often hard to figure out where to
>> start. There are other tools to help you find things, like apropos,
>> locate, find, and grep that you should learn to use
>>
>> You may occasionally be told to RTFM by some immature punk, but you
>> just need to have a thick skin. Someone will help you. I would help
>> you but I use Debian not Redhat so I don't have the information
>> you're looking for.
>
>Actually, I'd perfer a linux oriented M/L similar to this one. One
> that is germaine to my choosen distro 8-). If you notice, I placed an
> "OT" in front of m the subject line, because I think to a degree it
> is. The thing is, many of us are or want to use Linux to either run
> CoCo emulators or assists in CoCo developement. At least that's how I
> took it. In that case, I don't see a problem with folks using this
> list for their questions.

I agree wholeheartedly here, and wish there was a suitable coco emulator
for linux systems.  So I don't consider it off-topic in the least.  I
know I would import (if I could ever get a com path between this box
and the coco to work) some of my stuff and possibly offer enhancements
as the need to scratch an itch becomes apparent.  My coco3 system is
still breathing, but is essentially a quadraplegic.

On that subject, I have a pl2302 usb-seriel interface, bought from the
shack several years ago now, that I have never been able to make work
any better than hand typing between comm proggies.  The handshaking is
totaly broken.  If someone has a known working xmode command that would
work against minicom in this environment, I'd love to have it relayed
to me.  To have a coco running on a 1600x1200 screen would be hog
heaven.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: