[Coco] FPGA CoCo

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Mon Mar 27 17:30:59 EST 2006

jdaggett at gate.net wrote:

> One issue that I have to be sure that does not bite me is that when the
> address buss to the ram switches properly between CPU cycle and Video
> cycle. ALso to make sure that Video section does not try and read the
> video ram when the CPU is acessing the ram.

Right now I've got 16 system timeslices per cpu clock. I've got some logic
that brings the 6883/6847 out of reset at the right phase wrt the cpu and
from then on things happen on a certain timeslice - with roughly the same
phase relationships as the timing diagram in the coco reference manual.

I'm using SRAM atm so refresh cycles are completely ignored, although I'm
generating RAS/CAS just for the sake of it. If I do elect to implement the
full functionality of the 6883 I'll have to fix that up of course.

I haven't had a lot of experience with video signal generation, so last
night I started on a simple controller hard-coded for 640x480. The idea is
that I'll have a dual-port line buffer fed by the 6847 at PAL/NTSC
frequencies and then have my vga controller suck it out the other end,
handling the scan-doubling. At least that's the initial plan, it may change
as I become more familiar with video...

Regards,