[Coco] Linux<->Windows Ethernet connection

Phill Harvey-Smith afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 27 16:27:47 EST 2006

John Hogerhuis wrote:
> A lot of people don't realize this, so I'll clue you in. The best place to
> get free Linux support is via IRC (Internet Relay Chat). You just need to
> find a channel dedicated to your OS of choice, ideally targeted at newbies.

I often find usenent news quite usefull when it comes to linux, well for
SuSE (the distrib I use) anyway, but then Novell have their own
newsserver that at least garantees a high signal to noise ratio :)

> My search order is Google, real life co-workers that user Linux, then IRC.

Again I often find google groups more friutfull than google web.

> In general the configuration stuff is all in /etc on a Linux box. Sometimes
> you can guess what is what. Your documentation is all in man pages, but it's

And that does get easier the more you use it. Though one of the reasons
that I like SuSE is Yast, the mostly one stop shop for configuration.

> often hard to figure out where to start. There are other tools to help you
> find things, like apropos, locate, find, and grep that you should learn to
> use
>
> You may occasionally be told to RTFM by some immature punk, but you just
> need to have a thick skin. Someone will help you. I would help you but I use

Being told to RTFM is ok if it's done in the right way such as "the
information you are looking for is in chapter 4 of the manual" at least
that gives you a pointer in the right direction.

 > Debian not Redhat so I don't have the information you're looking for.

SuSE here, not used Debian in a while, though I have a friend who swears
by it.

Phill.