[Coco] Linux<->Windows Ethernet connection

Frank Pittel fwp at deepthought.com
Mon Mar 27 04:14:11 EST 2006

On Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 04:02:33PM -0600, Roger Taylor wrote:
> At 02:36 PM 3/26/2006, you wrote:
>

> >"chkconfig --level 35 smb on"  For more information see "man chkconfig".
> >
> >> It says it started SMB and NMB? with [OK] so I think it's running and I
> >> hope this stays running on each boot.  If not, how do I automate it?  I
> >> can't remember how I automated the mounting of my FAT32 drive in Linux
> >but
> >> I did and it's mounted when I boot as well.
> >>
> >> I don't know where to go in Linux to assign an IP address, and am lost
> >from
> >> there if I do.  :)
> >
> >Do you have X running on the linux machine?
>

> Yes, X is running.  I edited the Samba config file to have a workgroup of
> MSHOME, same as my XP system, but nothing has shown up in my XP network
> neighorhood.  I figure it won't unless I share something on the Linux box?

Until you get the networking setup nothing network based like smb is going to
work. Alas although I use Redhat versions of Linux They've made network configuration
a bit of a pain when compared to Solaris. :-( The best way to start is with
their ever changing gui. Look in the predefined menus under system or system
setup, etc for a tool called "network" or something like it. What you're looking
for is a tool that will let you set the IP address, netmask, etc. You'll want
to do the same for windows. (with a different IP address of course) When you
get the network configuration on both servers setup make sure that you can
ping the linux machine from windows and the windows machine from linux.

> All of this is so automated from Windows that it seems like I'm a dummy
> trying to get it running under Linux, but you have to admit that there is
> no way a newbie can sit down in 30 minutes and figure it out on Linux.  The
> entire system assumes that the user is a programmer and has weeks of free
> time to figure simple things out.  However, I love Linux and I do use it
> quite often for other purposes.

Once you learn how Linux isn't any harder to work with then windows. The
biggest difference is that with linux you need to know more about how it
works then windows up front.

> All I need is a direct Ethernet cross-over cable connection, no shared
> internet, nothing else.

In the long run you'll be better off using a switch. They're cheap will allow
you to add more servers later.

If you need more help let me know and email you ph#. I've got RH9 around
somewhere as well as a "spare" machine to install it on.

Frank