[Coco] Linux<->Windows Ethernet connection

Chris Hawks chawks at dls.net
Sun Mar 26 17:55:18 EST 2006

---Reply to mail from Roger Taylor about [Coco] Linux<->Windows Ethernet connection

> At 02:36 PM 3/26/2006, you wrote:
>

>>"chkconfig --level 35 smb on"  For more information see "man chkconfig".
>>
>> > It says it started SMB and NMB? with [OK] so I think it's running and I
>> > hope this stays running on each boot.  If not, how do I automate it?  I
>> > can't remember how I automated the mounting of my FAT32 drive in Linux but
>> > I did and it's mounted when I boot as well.
>> >
>> > I don't know where to go in Linux to assign an IP address, and am lost
>> from
>> > there if I do.  :)
>>
>>Do you have X running on the linux machine?
>

> Yes, X is running.  I edited the Samba config file to have a workgroup of
> MSHOME, same as my XP system, but nothing has shown up in my XP network
> neighorhood.  I figure it won't unless I share something on the Linux box?

    IIDC, you do have client capabilities (started samba and added
workgroup). I use the client at work and that's all I had to do. But, you will
have more work if you want a Samba server. (see www.samba.org or 'man samba')
Can you see stuff shared by the XP box??