[Coco] FPGA CoCo

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sun Mar 26 23:10:13 EST 2006

Gene

Yes that is 6.25 MHz.

Looking at other open 8 bit cores that are out there, most seem to be able to run at
clocks speeds of 25 to 35 MHz for the FPGA. These are usually Z80, 8080, and
6502 variants.

I diverted some of my time from the GIME chip to look at doing a 6809/6309 CPU
core. The idea is to write the code using microcoded instruction set unlike the 6809
random logic. So far I have instruction decode and post byte decode logic that is
rather quick.  In an FPGA the instruction and postbyte decodelogic can be done in
around 6.8 nS propogation delay. That is from the time that the instruction register
is loaded the address mode and instruction type will be known within less than 7 nS.
Using four clock cycles per machine cycle, that would correlate to a current 6809
running at about 30 MHz. The biggest delays now seem to be the routing of internal
busses and signals within the FPGA. They are as much as the logic propogation
delays.

Last need for time analysis that I want to do is for the a 16bit ALU.What I want to
know is how long it takes for the output from the time the ALU gets two inputs.The
ALU function is for addition, subtraction and logic. If that can equal 7 nS delays then
a 30 to 35 MHz 6809/6309 could be possible in a FPGA. Love to see if I can design
a multiplier and divider that will not take up a whole lot of area and still be faster
than the current multiplier used in the 6809, 11 machine cycles.

The whole goal is to get a 6309 based COCO3 in a single low cost FPGA that will
interface to a VGA/SVGA monitor. Also to run at least equivalent to a current 6809
at 25Mhz. A supercharged Coco 3. It is the only way to get a Coco 3 to achieve
higher color depth and video resolution is to increase the video bandwidth by
increasing CPU speed.

james