[Coco] DMP-106 Pinter sighted

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Mar 15 00:54:57 EST 2006

On Wednesday 15 March 2006 00:31, KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 3/15/06 12:23:56 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>
>gene.heskett at verizon.net writes:
>>Ouch, Mike, that's a no-no, mentioning the DMP-105 and reliable in
>> the same sentence.  Tsk Tsk
>
>Well, I did use it rather lightly, but when I did run it I ran it
> pretty hard, printing out UME scores in graphics mode.  The manual
> warned against running graphics mode for more than a few minutes at a
> time, fearing something would overheat, so I always kept a close
> watch on it.  (FWIW, the brass  primary gear on the carriage stepper
> motor of my Panasonic Epson knockoff gets  too hot to touch after a
> few minutes of printing organ rolls, but the old bear refuses to die,
> whew).
>
>So OK, I babied my DMP-105, but did push the thermal limits.  Sure it
> had its share of paper jams, but those were the days when even

> professionals  swore "never leave the room during a print job."
> --Mike K.

Unless the printer was a xerox daisy.  Absolutely the only thing that
can stop a 1650-ro is a broken ribbon.  It stops in its tracks, you
slip a new ribbon into it, push the reset button and it takes off on
the next character with no hint of a problem in the output of that line
of text.  I still have a few ribbons for it, but its out in the shed
moldering away in the interests of sanity, its carriage return shakes
the whole house.  Something like a 17" return if you have wide paper in
it, with a head and motor that weighs much of a pound, is done in less
than 110 milliseconds.  The usual 8" tractor feed is maybe 75-70
milliseconds, THUMP clatter clatter, THUMP.  Its a 40 cps daisy,
fastest one ever built. I gave $25 for it nearly 20 years ago at a ham
swapmeet.  Of course it doesn't do graphics well at all.  I heard of a
driver once that use the period to do a dmp style thing, but you would
of course have to seriously redefine your definition of slow.  Couple
of hours per page maybe?  Its interface was 1200 baud serial only in my
version.  My coco's ran it just fine. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: