[Coco] Heavy Duty Printers

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Sat Mar 11 21:45:13 EST 2006

In a message dated 3/11/06 7:19:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
neilsmorr at hotpop.com writes:

>There was the DWP410, but all of these were DWPxxx models. I don't  remember
>any of them having a serial port. "My wife's business OS9  system" doesn't
>mean a Coco - I assumed some other  hardware.

Actually her system *was* Coco based -- I set it up for her way back when,
and she ran it for at least 3 or 4 years, before getting a Mac laptop.  Her
first system used a Coco II with 64K, later upgraded to a III with 128K, or
maybe I put 512 in it for her.  B&W monitor, nice and sharp.

Two floppy drives, OS9L2, and that big daisy wheel printer -- pretty sure  we
used a serial port, though I had a parallel converter on my "big" system
(dual hard drives) downstairs, so I could print graphics like UME music  scores.

She used DynaStar and DynaForm for correspondence and notes to herself, and
it worked just fine, though I got roped into emergency fixes back then, just
as  I do now with her Windows XP laptops.

BTW, be wary of some new laptops with wide aspect-ratio screens (16:9  rather
than the standard 4:3) -- some software (such as AOL menus) does not deal
well with the odd shape.
--Mike K.