[Coco] bitbanger I/O

Roger Taylor webmaster at coco3.com
Sat Mar 11 19:56:54 EST 2006

At 06:13 PM 3/11/2006, you wrote:

>IIRC, the CD line goes and stays high if the printer is not busy. This is
>for the TP-10 :-
>2. STATUS (Pin No.2)
>
>Direction - To Computer
>This signal indicates to the computer whether or not the Printer can
>accept data. The OFF condition (LOW) indicates that the Printer is BUSY
>and cannot accept any more data. The ON condition (HIGH) indicates the
>printer is NOT BUSY, and can accept more data from the Computer. This line
>goes LOW (BUSY) while:
>
>  1.. One-code ASCII data is received.
>  2.. Power-up is initialized.
>  3.. The PAPER FEED Key is pressed and data is received.
>  4.. Paper is jammed so that the Printer cannot shift the print head.
>  5.. Executing the Self Test Printing.
>Neil

Neil, read my original post and note that I stated (not a printer) for the
I/O functionality.  I'm doing two-way serial I/O with a null-modem cable
and communication programs of some sort on the PC and the CoCo.

I'm interested only in knowing if the CD line of the serial port can be
tied to the PC's DB-9 port's RTS line to trigger a FIRQ on the CoCo so data
can be received no matter what the foreground program is doing.  The FIRQ
driver would buffer any incoming data if such an interrupt could be
generated correctly.

--
Roger Taylor