[Coco] DLOAD mystery

Roger Taylor webmaster at coco3.com
Tue Mar 7 13:17:14 EST 2006

At 03:42 AM 3/7/2006, you wrote:
>Why do you think it should be 41?  Because the printer constant is 41 for 1200
>baud?  Does DLOAD use the same loop for timing that the printer routine
>uses and
>have the same number of cycles per bit of overhead as for the printer? For
>the printer, I believe the 300 baud constant is 180, which is neither 4*41 or
>4*44.  That is, the timing constant isn't exactly directly proportional to the
>time per bit because of the fixed overhead for each bit;  it's a linear
>relationship, but the line doesn't pass through the origin.

I understand the linear part of the timing, delay vs. bitrate, but yes I
was assuming that DLOAD uses the same code as the printer routines.  If 44
is actually the right delay, then there's still a problem... the start bit
is missing most of the time.

As I said, calling the DLOAD command's SendChar routine from another ML
program works great.  This leads me to believe that something done right
before calling the first SendChar of 138 is causing a problem.  I could be
completely wrong, though.  Right now any clue would tickle me pink.

--
Roger Taylor