[Coco] Re: Coco Digest, Vol 31, Issue 23

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Mar 6 18:10:35 EST 2006

On Monday 06 March 2006 17:08, Tony C wrote:
>Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 13:28:26 -0800
>From: Kevin Diggs <kevdig at hypersurf.com>
>Subject: Re: [Coco] RE: Tandy Hard Disk Controller
>To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts <coco at maltedmedia.com>
>
>       >>Huh? I thought by definition in the SCSI spec everything had
>
>have a
>
>>>SCSI id? Is there a short cut that I am not aware of?
>
>You are correct. Every device needs a unique SCSI ID, but on many of
> the very old (someone mentioned an old Adaptec SCSI interface
> recently), the address of the host was hard wired to 7, with no easy
> way of changing it other than cutting traces/soldering. This gives
> the false impression that there is no ID fo rthat adapter, since it
> is not user settable.

I have an advansys laying here whose support was removed from the linux
kernel, that does have, in its own bios screens, the ability to change
its own host address.  It was a good controller AFAIK, but the code had
been thru several hands, like the company before it seems to have
disappeared forever, and was 'racy' (never bit me though that I knew
of).  Since I was virtually the only one using that card, it came out
of the kernel eventually.  At least no one else squawked about it but
me on the lkml.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: