[Coco] Model III bus pinout

Ward Griffiths wdg3rd at comcast.net
Mon Mar 6 18:05:19 EST 2006

On 03/06/2006 03:06 am, Willard Goosey wrote:
> >From: Ward Griffiths <wdg3rd at comcast.net>
> >My HD interface for my Cocos and my Mod One and 4 is a serial cable
> >to a Linux box.  Same cable I use to back up my 6k via uucp.
>
> Hum, how do you handle that?  A switch box, or do you physically move
> the cable?  Do you manually run getty when you need it, or is it
> running all the time?  I once used a 4-to-1 switch box to tie several old
> machines to a linux box's serial port, but I had problems with the
> machines maxing out at different speeds, and if the machine on the
> other end was off, getty was picking up line noise and trying to log
> it in! :-(

As I rarely have that many of the old machines powered up (or even set up) at
the same time, I just hook up the appropriate cables at need.  There's a
getty on the serial card ports full time.

> >(I'd estimate that less than 2% of Linux users even know that uucp
> >exists, and less than 2% of those left know how to use it).
>
> I know what UUCP is, but I've never set it up or explicitly used it.

The first serious network I ever installed was a couple of hundred Mod 16
Xenix systems scattered across Southern California and Arizona at all of the
Southern California Gas Company's pumping stations.  Data was collected in
Multiplan spreadsheets which were uucp'd to company HQ at 820 S. Flower St.
in Los Angeles every night to be merged in the AM.  I was the CSR at the RSCC
a couple of blocks away at 740 S. Olive.

My Mod 16 at home a little later was a leaf node dialing into Cal Tech for a
partial newsfeed at 1200 bps.  Very partial, as 12 Mb won't hold much even in
1986, when a full feed was maybe 15Mb per week.
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd at comcast.net

I think boys might benefit from owning a Barbie doll; every young man
should understand what an expensive proposition it is to cohabitate with
a narcissistic woman built like a stripper.  --  Tony Woodlief