[Coco] RE: Tandy Hard Disk Controller

Boisy Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Mon Mar 6 13:51:19 EST 2006

I can state pretty much unequivocally that there is no possible way
to detect the type of collision problems that can occur by two CoCos
sharing a single SCSI drive, short of having some type of
communication between the CoCos themselves.

This would require that the CoCo wishing to write to the drive pass a
message to the other CoCo with a start sector and sector count before
it writes to a particular section of the drive.  The CoCo receiving
the message would have to put off reading or writing to that area
until the initiating CoCo indicates that its write has completed.
Such a scheme would slow down I/O a bit, as every write would need to
be prepended and appended with this information.

A more meaningful method of using a single SCSI hard drive connected
to two CoCos (which would not require the above communication
scenario) would be if CoCo #1 used a separate area, or partition of
the disk than CoCo #2.  That way reads and writes would stay out of
the way of each other.  Or in the case of a SCSI drive that does not
need to be written to, two CoCos could easily share the same data.

There was a review of the Ken-Ton hard drive system back in 1989 or
so, which appeared in the now defunct CoCo Clipboard Magazine that
detailed this scenario.  It was written by none other than Jim
Distefano (anyone remember him? :)

Boisy