[Color Computer][Coco] Tandy Hard Disk Controller

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Sat Mar 4 19:57:44 EST 2006

yahoo at dvdplayersonly.com writes:

>A  SCSI system is supposed to allow more than one computer on a single
>drive. I've been tempted to try this. I just never took the time to  test
the
>OS-9 system to see if it would actually do this. The docs in  OS-9 claim to
>do a sharing thing when accessing/writing the same  file/record from more
>than one user.

Hold it!  You're taking OS9's ability to share a disk drive between
different users/processes on ONE computer (Coco), including some very  sophisticated
sharing of the same file (MUCH better than WIndows'), and  extending that to
sharing a disk drive between two computers, who OSes and  processes aren't
talking to each other at all!

SCSI bus protocol may well make it work at the hardware level, but if both
computers try working on the same file (or directory, even), all kinds of fun
will begin -- unless the two computers are linked with some kind of protocol
about sharing files.  Which I'm pretty sure OS9 never has had.  Some  tightly
coupled networks, like server farms or research institutes, may have
developed such schemes.  --Mike K.