[Coco] Model III bus pinout

Ward Griffiths wdg3rd at comcast.net
Sun Mar 5 13:23:29 EST 2006

On 03/05/2006 04:28 am, Willard Goosey wrote:
> I spent a good hour digging through a Model 4 tech ref for this:
>
> xa0 - 17
> xa1 - 19
> xa2 - 21
> xa3 - 23
> xa4 - 25
> xa5 - 27
> xa6 - 29
> xa7 - 31
> xd0 - 1
> xd1 - 3
> xd2 - 5
> xd3 - 7
> xd4 - 9
> xd5 - 11
> xd6 - 13
> xd7 - 15
> extiosel* - 43
> xin* - 33
> xout* - 35
> xreset* - 37
> xmi* - 47(?)
> xorq* - 49
> xiobuswait* - 41
> xiobusint* - 39
> nc - 45
> gnd - 8-50 even
>
> As you can see, it's an expansion bus, it's not SASI or SCSI, dispite
> the fact that it's a 50-pin ribbon cable connector.
>
> Sheesh!  Next you'll wanna hook 8" floppy drives to your SCSI cards,
> just 'coz they use the same connector.

Mod 4 tech ref was a bit clumsy, as it assumed that a Mod 3 tech ref was ready
to hand (as happened with the Mod 16 and 6k assuming Mod 2 or 12 info).

I can't seem to find the message I'd set aside to answer, that said the Coco
adapter provided the same bus as the 2/3/4/12/16/6000.  The bus was
specifically the 3/4.  2/12/16/6k used a quite different bus.  The bus
adapter (that took up a valuable slot in a small card cage) for the
2/12/16/6000 cost much more than the Coco adapter (and we sold a lot more of
them) since it was for "business" machines.

For anybody who cares, the HD bus adapter for the Mod One was more expensive
than that for the Coco and involved even less circuitry.  No, I don't
currently own either.  (As Franklin once said, "three removes == one fire).

My HD interface for my Cocos and my Mod One and 4 is a serial cable to a Linux
box.  Same cable I use to back up my 6k via uucp.  (I'd estimate that less
than 2% of Linux users even know that uucp exists, and less than 2% of those
left know how to use it).

I really have to look at Boisy's DriveWire.  Since it'd make some actions
easier, and I won't deny that I'm a lazy bastard.  Extending the interface to
Mod 1/3/4 and Mod 100 is something I'd like to work on.
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd at comcast.net

I think boys might benefit from owning a Barbie doll; every young man
should understand what an expensive proposition it is to cohabitate with
a narcissistic woman built like a stripper.  --  Tony Woodlief