[Coco] NoICE debugging for the Coco

Stephen H. Fischer SFischer1 at MindSpring.com
Sun Mar 5 11:40:25 EST 2006

Hi,

Apart from those who post messages, It is very hard to determine what people
are doing with their CoCo's.

Because of the CoCo's limitations many people have moved on to other
platforms.

Those who remain may not understand the very powerful tools for programmers
that are available in the computer world today. They may just have no
interest in programming.

I moved the posting on the NoICE debugger into the Urbane folder right away
because I understood that it was a great step forward and immediately
started thinking about how to integrate Urbane with NoICE debugger. If there
are a sufficient numbers of users who want that capability or any other, we
can provide it.

When I posted a message suggesting that Roger Taylor had the wrong
definition of "IDE", he replied with a blank message. I took that to mean
that he understood what I was saying but my definition of "IDE" was not what
he is trying to provide currently.

"IDE" = Integrated Development Environment.
"IDE" = Integrated Debugging Environment.

Many "IDE"'s are both allowing the programmer for example using "C" to step
through their programs "C" source lines one at a time. Variables can be
inspected as to what their values are after each line is executed. A list of
Variables can be "Watched" as the program executes in slow motion.
Breakpoints can be set to allow the program to run at full speed when
executing parts of the program that need no further debugging at that point.

The point that I am trying to make is the Integrated Debugging Environment
allows the programmer to work completely in the "C" language and have to not
be concerned with machine language. Other languages can be debugged in a
similar manner.

There are many things that can be added to the CoCo to improve its debugging
environment.

So why no response?

I think that we have reached the point that the number of persons
programming the CoCo is very close to the number of people that are posting
messages to our various lists. NoICE is great, but not when there are not
sufficient numbers of people who want to do programming.

It may well be that we are producing great tools so that great CoCo
applications can be written, but there are not a sufficient numbers of
application writers remaining to use the tools.

And there are not a sufficient number of persons who would want to use the
applications.

The number of persons reading these lists is much larger than those who post
messages. I again wonder why they are doing so and where their real
interests lie.

I have a idea as to how to better judge the current state of the CoCo which
I will be sending to a small list of people who may be the most violent
opposition to it soon. If it has any hope at all then I will present the
idea to the CoCo list.

Stephen H. Fischer