[Coco] Y2k bug

Bruce W. Calkins brucecalkins at bellsouth.net
Sat Mar 4 22:14:56 EST 2006

> > And my ST225 won't boot or even read.

The biggest problem I had with the ST-225 drives was the lack of a auto park
on powerdown.  The heads would usually come to rest on the directory track
and ANY movement would crash the drive.  The majority of MFM and RLL drives
made after them did auto park on power down and were much more reliable.

> > Do 3-1/2 720/1.44 floppies work OK? Aren't the tracks narrower?

> Generally they are ok.  They are all 80 track DS drives, and unless you
> have a hacked for hi-density controller, you'll need to find some DD
> diskettes for them.  I've tried HD diskettes many times, but they often
> will refuse to even format, the magnetic coating is harder, and the
> drives will often switch themselves up to a 500kilobaud data rate with
> some refusing to read the HD diskette at all.

3.5" drives work O.K., IF you can find 720K disks.  My experence is that the
1.44 disks are unreliable for CoCo use.

Bruce W.