[Coco] Re: Linux<->Windows Ethernet connection

Richard E. Crislip rcrislip at neo.rr.com
Sun Mar 26 04:34:15 EST 2006

Hello Roger

> Does anybody know of a good way to network Red Hat Linux 9.0 with
> Windows  XP SP2 over a cross-over Ethernet connection?
>
> My Linux box is actually a dual-boot system with Windows XP.  I have a
> FAT32 drive setup just for swapping files between the two OSes.  If I
> can  share this drive using some common network protocol that both OSes
> include  then I suppose this would work.
>
> All of this pertains to CoCo development and web site scripts for
> CoCo3.com.  I don;t use Linux for all of my work but mainly, for now,
> just  use it for compiling HLA software and then I move those Linux
> binaries back  over to Windows where I upload them to my remote
> Linux-based web servers  for running.  Until HLA gains the feature to
> compile Linux binaries from  Windows (it will eventually), I have to
> work this way if I am to write  software/scripts for Linux systems.
>
> I need to be able to stay working on both Linux and my XP laptop at the
> same time and access the Linux files from Windows at any time.

I have very limited experience doing this. I used the crossover to connect
two Xp boxes and it went very well. I do not see why it couldn not be done
with Red Hat and XP. You would have to make sure that Sambe was
running/enabled on the Linux side. Use static addressing and It really should
work. THe FAT32 drive is a must for shuttling data back and forth.

Regards
--
Cruising on AutoPilot                        |
        With an Amiga           ---o-o-O-o-o---  and a CoCo