[Coco] bitbanger I/O

Roger Taylor webmaster at coco3.com
Sat Mar 11 12:28:59 EST 2006

I'm trying to refresh my memory on how the bitbanger CD line works when
receiving serial data (not a printer).

I assume that a FIRQ can be generated at the beginning of each incoming
byte if the CD line is connected to the sending device's RTS or some other
line that indicates that a byte is on the way.

I found some popular source code for Disk BASIC assembly for receiving at
38400bps over the bitbanger port but it doesn't use the CD line as far as I
can tell.  I wonder how easy it is to get off-sync even though it watches
carefully for the start bit.  The program masks interrupts during the byte
receive portion of the code.

I want to make my CoCo to PC cable compatible with OS-9, but I'm not sure
if OS-9 can handle masking the IRQ interrupts while receiving a byte then
restoring the interrupts and not cause problems elsewhere in OS-9 like lockups.

--
Roger Taylor