[Coco] Re: Coco Digest, Vol 31, Issue 12

farna at att.net farna at att.net
Sat Mar 4 21:13:46 EST 2006

James, I certainly didn't mean to belittle your efforts! With the whole package burned into a couple FPGAs (or even one), there would be the problem of fututre expandability... well, maybe not. If carefully planned there could be some room left inside the FPGA (I'm guessing here, out of my league, really!!) so that improvements could be made without changing pin assignments. So there would only be some limitations. I'm sure the entire package could ultimitely be made as cheap or cheaper than an existing SBC as well. If you can make it generic enough, it would be a very nice machine indeed!

I agree with you on one thing whole heartedly -- DECB is easy to learn and use. It could use some extending, like being able to have longer programs (similar to 512 Basic) and using larger variable names (even three digits instead of two helps a lot!). That and more standard graphics, like support of a 640x480 video, or at least a standard VGA monitor even if less resolution, would be really nice. If the standard I/O can be integrated (disk drive controller, and maybe an IDE) that would be even better.

At this point if you could make such a system and make it mostly CoCo3 compatible, and forget about CoCo 1/2, you'd have made quite an achievement! The only problem would be the expanded BASIC wouldn't run on a CoCo3. If it can be made to run CoCo3 BASIC and M/L programs and at least most games, that would be enough.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Independent