[Coco] Advice on copying old floppies

Carey Eugene carey at cebridge.net
Thu Jun 29 20:36:23 EDT 2006

Andrew;

> Have you tried to use Jeff Vavasour's emulator?:

Yeah.  That and the OS9 program.  Nothing could read the disks.

Robert pointed out that it's probably XP getting in the way.  So I'm going to try his suggestions.

The last time I tried to read these disks I was using either DOS or Win98.  I didn't know that XP had problems with other floppy formats.

> If you would be willing to ship the disks to me (I would rather save
> *everything* - so all 500+ disks), I have an emulation system using JV's
> emulators that I have set up that I used to "back up" my old collection
> of floppies from my CoCo to CD-ROM - I could run through all of them and
> make you a copy and then send you that copy back.

I'm going to give OmniFlop a try, like Robert suggested.

Depending on how well that works, I might do more than just the important stuff.  I don't know yet.

> We could work out shipping costs, etc - pay via paypal or check?
>
> I am also interested in other parts of your collection - I am certain
> others here are as well. I wouldn't just throw the stuff out - while
> there was a lot of CoCo stuff made, there is some stuff out there that
> seems rarer than hen's teeth, and only a few people have copies (in one
> manner or another). Much of it has been lost.

I guess I looked at it as my stuff being uninteresting.  That I had nothing of interest and that nobody else would care either.

Obviously I was wrong...

Once I get the disks copied, I'll see about making a list and posting it in here.

I've already gotten several emails in here and in private about this, so I guess I should make a list and give everybody a chance to see what I have and if there is some critical item that they have to have.

> Please make a list for us, and post it - but I still stand by my offer
> on the floppies, if you are willing to try it. I had about a 95% success
> rate with my conversion of about 200 floppies - some couldn't be read
> due to bit rot, etc...

I may take you up on the offer, but right now I want to see if OmniFlop will work.  (Right now I can't get the reg code for it to work.  I'm waiting to hear back from the author.)

Carey